Sunday, June 2, 2013

Activism

What is activism? I thought a lot about what it is and my answer is simple. Activism is doing something that creates change. I belong to several activist groups and have worked as an activist for several causes. The long and short of it was simply being involved. Activism is not giving up. Believing in tomorrow. Believing there is a better way to be and working towards making that happen.


My fiance always tells me my "dollars are votes." We make a point to buy groceries that support specific interests and beliefs that align with our life. In this way, I am an activist when I grocery shop!

I've gotten on board with the whole Grow Food, Not Lawns campaign and planted a garden.

In these two areas I have managed to create change and actually make a difference. Often I hear the complaint about how one person won't change the world, but I disagree. My whole world has been changed by one person many times over. Like the film Half The Sky even pointed out: One person may not change the world, but the world can be changed for one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Source?